Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Winter Fun

As I look out my window and see a plethora of snow and ice I am reminded that winter is here.  For us summer lovers this can be the least favorite time of the year.  However, you can still get out, even for a day, if you have the inkling to do so. 
When I was younger and living in Colorado, winter was eagerly anticipated.  This was due to my enthusiasm for skiing.  I’ll be the first to admit that skiing; at least down hill skiing isn’t cheap.  With lift tickets at some premier ski resorts like Vail at $94 for a day; you can imagine how much a day out with the family would be.  And let’s not discuss the additional cost like parking, food, libations, etc.  Can you say second mortgage?
Don’t loose hope, you can still get out there and do it for almost next to nothing.  Try cross country skiing, snowing shoeing, or icing fishing.  If you’ve never done these things before you’re in for a treat.  It’s beautiful out there, just wear warm clothes.
Now, all activities are going to cost something, and I would suggest trying it 1st before you invest in equipment.  See if any of your friends are into the activity you are trying to experience.  I have been exposed to many outdoor activities through my friends.  In many cases they had spare equipment I could barrow.  Thanks guys.  
If equipment is a must, like cross country skis, because your friends don’t have a spare set; there are other alternatives.  Go to your local thrift store, you might get lucky.  I have seen used skis at our local store for as little as $5.00 for the pair.  As a matter of fact, I bought a really nice pair of skis and boots at a garage sale for $25.00.  It really comes down to looking around and being patient.  You may not get out there the next day, but eventually it will happen.
With all the necessary equipment taken care of, its time to head out and enjoy the outdoors.  We use to head up to one of the passes outside of Denver.  Loveland Pass was a great place to spend a day out in the snow.  Basically, all it cost us was gas.   We could spend an entire day skiing down the pass and then hitch hiking back up again to repeat the process.  It was great.  If I still lived in Colorado I’m sure I would be doing it on a regular basis.  
I have done many winter activities with friends and acquaintances, most of which I enjoyed.  The only one I never got hooked on was Ice fishing (no pun intended).  I had a fun time, but it was cold and the only fish we caught was about 6 inches long.  Not much to show for the time we were sitting out on the lake.  Not to mention, I’m not big on venturing out on frozen lakes.  It creeps me out.

Get out there and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment