Thursday, December 16, 2010

What's in Texas?

           One of the first things I’ve done every time I have ever moved to a new area is go exploring.  Exploring is best done with a little research into what is close by and might be worth checking out.  However, that could be argued.  I’ve been lucky, in most cases I’ve lived in areas of the country that had much to offer in the way of outdoor activities.
            Just out of curiosity I got onto Google Maps and focused my attention in and around the Dallas Fort Worth area.  Perhaps I did so out of skepticism, not believing there is much of interest for the outdoor enthusiast in that area.  But, you never know, should I end up residing there at least I’ll have an idea of where I might go to escape.
I plan on doing this exercise all around the country.  If nothing else, I will gain an in-depth knowledge of what the possibilities are regarding outdoor activities in any given area.  This information may even prove useful the next time I play Trivial Pursuits.
In looking at the Map I noticed a green patch just to the northwest of the cities.  The green patch, as it turned out, was the Caddo LBJ National Grassland.  Who would of ‘thunk’?  This patch of green (on the map) is comprised of almost 40,000 acres of combined managed property under the jurisdiction of the US Forest Service.  It is located a little over an hour from the Dallas Fort Worth area, depending. 
            According to the Web Page there are many activities to enjoy there including hunting, fishing, camping, and boating.  I’m sure you could hike around there as well as enjoy other activities, like bird watching or in this case, bird shooting.  Whatever suits you.  
            Am I planning on visiting the Caddo-LBJ N G?  No, not any time soon.  Until today, I didn’t even know it existed.  I’m sure it’s very popular with the north Texas Crowd, but unless I’m going to be in Dallas I see no reason to put it on my list. 
                        Another search on Google Maps revealed a small green patch just to the north of the city.  As I zoomed in I discovered that this was the Ray Roberts Lake State Park.  Looks interesting, a quick search showed that this must be a very popular spot in that neck of the woods.  Lots of camp sites and direct access to the lake make it a party spot I’m guessing.  I’m sure the hum of motor boat engines is common during the summer.  The site indicated that there was a use fee of $5.00/person a day, and camping was anywhere from $12 to $25 a night. 
            All things considering, the two areas I just found would be good for weekend trips and look to be economical if you can afford a hundred dollars or so.  That seems to be about the going rate for a weekend at a state park these days; depending on your drive, supplies, and such.  Not bad.
            My question: Is there anywhere around there to do a completely wilderness oriented trip that doesn’t require a fee for this or a fee for that, and isn’t more then a days drive away?  Probably not, but I’m thinking the best bet is the Caddo National Grassland.  If anyone would know, it would be the local outdoor adventure types who take advantage of what the area has to offer.
            One more quick glance at the Map and backing out quite a ways, showed that the Ouachita National Forest in Arkansas looked to be within the realm of possibilities.  I’m guessing a three to four hour drive from the Dallas Fort Worth area and you’re there. 
            I’ve always liked National Forests.  In Colorado at least, you could drive down any particular road in a National Forest and find a decent camp site.  It would consist of a two track off the main road and have a fire ring.  No fees, but also no amenities.  Hey, you get what you pay for.  It was these types of camp spots I regularly visited and still do.  Another bonus, there are typically less people in these spots and the ones you do find, if they’re not playing the tune from Deliverance on a banjo, turn out to be good people.

No comments:

Post a Comment