Friday, December 17, 2010

Paradise on Earth

One of my favorite places in the world is Utah; to be specific, the area around Moab; more specifically, Canyonlands National Park.  There is no other place that I’ve ever been that I felt so removed from normal everyday life.  Perhaps it’s the landscape; it’s big and very colorful.  Within a very short distance the area transforms from a high alpine ecosystem to a maze of deep arid canyons.  The views are breathtaking.
Words do this place no justice, you have to see it to appreciate it.  Pictures can only give you a hint of the wonders contained within this high desert canyon environment.  Distances are vast, but in many cases seem to be an optical illusion.  You think to yourself, “This will be a quick hike to get out to that mesa”. Two hours later you are only approaching half way. 
In the middle of it all the magic and majesty of this place hits you.  At least it did to me; instilling in my soul a deep appreciation of this area and a need to see everything (an impossible task).  This area has to be one of the greatest pieces of eye candy in the world!
Andersen Bottom looking towards The White Rim and the Island in the Sky
I have been to the region many times over the years and have spent anywhere from a few days to over two weeks exploring.  Some places I have visited more then once, but somehow they always seem new when I come back to see them again.  For example, The White Rim.  It is a prominent geologic feature in Canyonlands National Park, and has a one hundred mile trail that follows the canyon rim as it winds its way around the Island in the Sky district of the park. 
The Island in the Sky district is so vast that it would literally take years to explore all of the small canyons that emanate from the high central plateau.  Believe me I know, I’ve been down there (Island in the Sky & the White Rim) at least five times and have just begun to scratch the surface.  To date, I have yet to make it all the way around the White Rim, but not for lack of trying.  I guess I’ll have to go back…..bummer.
The other districts in Canyonlands National Park are The Maze, and The Needles, both of which offer vast opportunities for exploration in their own right.  The Maze is the most remote of the three, but perhaps the most interesting due to that fact, and the geography of the area. 
No matter where you go in Canyonlands, you are in for an adventure.  Also, let’s not forget Arches National Park, The Glen Canyon National Recreation Area including Lake Powell, BLM land, and the Manti-La Sal National Forest all neighbor Canyonlands.  All combined, there are thousands of square miles of land in southeastern Utah waiting to be explored. 
For those lucky individuals living close enough to enjoy that area; a trip there need not cost more then a tank of gas and what can be found in the pantry.  All you need is the time and a love of the desert.  From Denver, it is approximately seven hours to get to Moab, from Salt Lake City its four hours, Vegas seven, and from Flagstaff its five and a half.  All very doable, when the need to get away from it all hits you.
You can see a great deal of the park with just a car.  That is, a car will get you to many camp grounds and most of the trail heads.  However, if you are really trying to get down in the thick of things you will need a four wheel drive vehicle or something capable of off road travel.  This is especially true of the Maze district.  It’s entirely possible to hike into the back country of any district, but it is nice to have a support vehicle to resupply from, especially in the maze.   Did I mention that it’s a vast desert landscape? I.E. water is hard to find, not to mention it weighs a lot.
Buttes of the Cross
Unfortunately, due to the popularity of the area as an outdoor adventure Mecca, park fees are ever prevalent.  Also, in the Moab area, the once free campsites along the Colorado River on highways 128 and 279 now have a fee.   But don’t loose hope; I’m sure a budget adventurer can still find a place to camp without having to pay a cent.  You may have to drive a little ways out of town, but they’re there.   
Alright, let me put the money where my mouth is.  If I was going to camp somewhere near Moab and wanted a no hassle no fee spot; here is where I would try.  This is assuming there is plenty of time to drive out to the camp spot.  Number one:  Castle Valley, the ravine near Castleton Tower.  I camped there before when I climbed the tower.  Number two:  keep heading up the same road, there’s bound to be something even if you end up on Castle Mountain; which is getting into the Manti-La Sal National Forest land by the way.  Number three:  Kane Creek road heading southwest out of Moab on the south side of the Colorado River.  This eventually ends up on BLM land and is outside Canyonlands National Park.  Actually, I’ve been wanting to drive that route for some time because it ends up down near the Needles district and must pass though some really neat country.  
The three ideas I’ve just mentioned are my best shot.  Please feel free to enlighten me if you know of other areas.  I’m all ears.  I haven’t been there in almost three years, but I am not done with the Moab area.  Far from it, I am just removed from it due to distance and time constraints.  
To be honest, if you are an outdoor adventure type like me, there is no other place in America that I would recommend more then southeastern Utah, and the Moab area.  There is so much to do there and so much to see, that I would move there if it weren’t 120 degrees in the summer.  That, seriously, is the only reason I don’t.  It’s too damn hot.  That, and if you weren’t able to spend your time out in the canyon country, you’d be stuck in Moab.

No comments:

Post a Comment