Monday, October 17, 2011

A quick launch scenario

            I don’t know about you, but I like to get my boat on the water as soon as possible.  That is, off the trailer and sailing.  It takes me about an hour to set everything up and actually start sailing the boat. 
            I should clarify.  The only time when set up is an issue is when I am traveling with the boat; for example, when I hauled it out to Montana to sail on Flathead Lake.  When at home, the Flying Fish stays on a mooring and it takes me about ten minutes to board her, stow gear, and set sail. 


Mast Cradle on the Rudder
         When I refurbished my boat, I built a mast cradle which I designed to attach to the upper half of the rudder.  This was accomplished by mounting the cradle through the same holes that the tiller and rudder blade use.  It works great.  However, I have found that over time the weight of the mast is starting to damage the mounts.  The overall effect of which is that there is more lateral play in both the tiller and rudder blade.  I.E. the rudder blade and tiller are loose.  It’s not a major concern at this point, but I am looking at correcting the problem before it gets worse. 
            My idea is to use a sawhorse which can fit in the cock pit and support the mast when traveling.  I’ve seen these on other boats as mast cradles and I think it is the best alternative to what I have now.  No one tells you these things when you first get a boat.  Oh well, live and learn.
            In thinking about it; not only will it eliminate the strain on the rudder mounts, but it will allow me to keep the rudder and tiller set up when traveling.  It could potentially speed up launch time by fifteen or more minutes.  Not to mention recovery and travel preparation.
            I realize that an extra fifteen minutes here and there is not a big deal.  Also, there is a potential for damage to the rudder if it comes loose and gets dragged down the highway.  That would be awesome; show up at your destination only to find your rudder is half the size it was when you left.  Truth be told, I would remove it on any trip longer then an hour or so. 
            On the other hand, I have been at boat launches where powerboat owners gave me the evil eye. This was because I was taking up valuable space with my archaic sailboat; making their comrades wait an unduly amount of time while I set up everything.  “Buy a real boat asshole,” I could hear them thinking.
            Hey, I have all winter to make a new mast cradle.  Only six months to go until launch.

No comments:

Post a Comment