Sunday, June 5, 2011

Adventure in the Apostle Islands Final

When we awoke the next day the gale had subsided, allowing the Genius to continue on her journey.  We quickly ate breakfast, cleaned and stowed our cook ware, and made preparations to get under way. 
Soon we were sailing north and towards the outer islands.  It was a cloudy day, but the wind was fair and the Genius made good time.  Due to the mast incident, Tim would not put up large Genoa for fear of another catastrophe.  The mid sized Genoa was serving its function.
It was a good sail.  We crossed the channel between Stockton Island and Cat Island and headed northwest towards Rocky Island; our final destination.  Tim, Mike, and I had discussed sailing around Outer Island, but Tim put the kibosh on that plan.  He didn’t trust the Genius and didn’t want us to get to far from a secure harbor or anchorage, just in case.
As we passed Ironwood Island, I made lunch for the crew.  As a matter of fact, I did most of the cooking. Poor guys; I’m no chef.  However, I wasn’t going to subject my self to Tim’s idea of proper meals; that consisting of nothing but grilled brats.  
It took the Genius about five hours of sailing to reach Rocky Island.  Mostly do the direction of sail.  We were on a beat the whole way, and had to tack many times. 
Rocky Island Dock
We located the dock and secured the genius.  At that point we decided we would pay the ten dollar fee, and stay there for the night.  Rocky Island has decent facilities and a Ranger Station.  There was a picnic area with a fire ring right by the dock.  That’s where we cooked our dinner and then enjoyed a nice camp fire. 
While hanging out on the dock, we met a couple groups of sea kayakers who where also touring the Apostle Islands.  One group had paddled from Bayfield that day, which is a pretty long haul.  They said their arms where pretty tired.  I could understand.
That day had been uneventful, but at least we had been able to sail.  That night however, would prove to be anything but. 
Mike and I had decided that we would sleep on the dock.  The cabin was very crampt and stuffy.  Sleeping under the stars seemed a better choice.  So we laid out our sleeping bags and hit the hay.
The first rain drops hit us sometime during the night and woke Mike and I from restful slumber.  Mike and I hastened to pick up out stuff and climb back aboard the Genius.  We also had to contend with the pop-up roof; which is difficult in perfect weather.  With the rain starting to pick up Mike and I fought with the roof but finally managed to get it down.
Now that we had moved into the cabin, we then had to move and jumble all the crap so we could lay on our bunks.  It was about then that we noticed that the Genius is not exactly water tight.  Water started to drip from all the fitting mounts directly onto both Mike and I.  It was going to be a wonderful night.
CRACK BOOM!  A lightning bolt hit somewhere close.  It was the first of many.  The storm that had blown in while we were sleeping was a full out major tempest.  The bright flashes and the booming thunder where all around us.  And we were on a leaky boat with a twenty eight foot high lightning rod. 
“We’re gonna die in here,” Mike said with an air of panic in his voice.  “Let’s get the fuck outta here”
            “It’s just lightning,” I said groggily.
            “Let’s go, come on,” Mike said. 
            “I’m staying,” I replied and rolled over.
            “Fuck this,” Mike said and exited the cabin.  CRACK BOOM!
            Mike would spend a great deal of time in the foyer of the Ranger Station, an area of about nine square feet.  There he would sit out the storm, but at least he was dry.
            I managed to put the storm out of my mind and tried to sleep.  I do enjoy a good electrical storm.  I have had lightning strike within one hundred feet of me over ten times through the years.  And I guess I developed a nonchalant attitude towards it.  Don’t get me wrong, I respect it, but lightning doesn’t scare me.  I love to watch it.
            I think Mike tried to come back aboard at some point during the night, but was driven away again by continued electrical activity.  CRACK BOOM!  Chicken shit.
            The next morning Mike was really Grumpy.  He had though I purposely put him in the wet bunk, although he had chosen it freely.  I explained to him that I too got soaked due to the poor condition of Tim’s boat.
            “That’s ok then, it’s Tim who’s the asshole,” Mike said making light of the situation.  I guess misery loves company.
            “I agree,” I said.
            “What?!” Tim chimed in. 
Apparently, he didn’t even realized there was a storm and had slept right through it.  Also, Tim slept in the bow and was perfectly dry all night.  Asshole.  Oh well, the crew was no worse for ware.
We ate one more breakfast, stowed the cookware and made way.  We headed back to Bayfield, our time had run out.  It would take us five or more hours to get there.  About half way there it started to rain again.
As the Genius sailed by Oak Island we heard thunder.  Tim, who is not a big fan of lightning, did not want to risk open water during an electrical storm.  We found a beach on the south side of the island and anchored the boat.  There, the crew abandoned ship and stood on the beach in the rain.  
I though the whole thing was kind of silly.  It was just a little thunder and it sounded like it was moving off.  It wasn’t like the previous night’s activity.  On that I would heartily agree that being out in open water would not be a good thing. 
So there we stood, staring at the boat in the rain.  Joy.  I finally had it and said as much.
“What are we going to do, camp here and wait until it passes?” I said.  “It’s moving off, let’s go.” 
Tim, Mike, and I discussed it, but finally decided to make a run for it.  We motored the remaining distance to Bayfield, not wanting to prolong our time in the rain.  The voyage went without incident and we arrived safely.
It took us about thirty minutes to recover and dismantle the boat, making it ready for the road.  The trip had been a real adventure and we all enjoyed it.  Tim, Mike, and I climbed into the truck, turned on the heat, and headed for home.  

2 comments:

  1. It would be fitting to name Tim's boat the "Pompass British Asshole" instead of the "Genius"...Miquel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim's tiny wanker has the same bend to it as his stinky hell hole of a boats mast...Miquel

    ReplyDelete