Thursday, February 10, 2011

Me and My Boat: It's still work...wiring

My idea about gluing the wiring to the bulkhead has several flaws as I discovered last night.  Perhaps the biggest can be attributed to myself; I.E. a complete lack of patients.  I had come home ready to willing to work on the boat, with the expectation that I would complete the task of mounting all the wiring.  It was not to be.  I also learned that electrical tape is no more suited to the effort then duct tape is.  Basically, the surface texture of the bulkhead is not conducive to prolonged or even short term taping.  So what that left me with was two large clamps and two small clamps.  Hardly enough to secure the wiring in place long enough for the glue to harden.
By placing some glue on the bulkhead and then clamping the wire to it, I would eventually be able to mount it all.  However, that could conceivably take days to get the job done, but in some cases that may be my only recourse.  Fortunately, I came to the realization that using screw held brackets will perform the desired task of holding the wiring in place.  I had forgotten that the overhead of the cabin is close to an inch thick to support weight on the deck.  I will be able to mount the wiring using a minimum number of brackets and the end result should be acceptable.  I just have to stop by Menards again to pick up the needed hardware. 
I used my four clamps and secured about two feet of wire to the bulkhead.  I guess that’s it for the night.  I was just about to go in when I remembered that I could still use the tie straps to secure the battery line to the aft navigation lead.  So I set about the task. 
With headlight on, tie straps in hand, and a pair of dikes; I crawled head first into the aft bunk.  I placed a tie strap about every six inches on the two wires, binding them together.  As I went along I placed the wire bundle in its approximate mounting location, using nooks and crannies to secure it in place.  The end result worked great and I could even leave the bundle alone and forgo further mounting activities.  But someone’s foot or something might snag on it pulling it free from its wedged status; which would be annoying, especially underway.  A couple of brackets and a dab of glue will ensure that the aft wire bundle won’t be going anywhere. 
That was it for last night’s efforts.  We’ll see what I get done tonight, after I stop by Menards that is.  If providence is with me, I may get the wiring mounted tonight.  At least that’s my plan.  If my luck holds I might even get a lighting fixture up.

No comments:

Post a Comment