Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Me and My Boat: Wiring????

Wednesday January 20th.  Last night I went out to the garage yet once again to, you got it, work on the boat.  I am in the process of getting the electrical system up and running.  I can then paint the interior. 
Of course I had to make a pit stop at Menards before I could do anything.  Heaven forbid I do anything to that boat without going to the hardware store first.  Last night’s acquisitions included tie straps, electrical tape, and a nightlight.  The tie straps I need to secure all the loose wiring.  The electrical tape; well, in this case it will, I’m hoping, secure the wiring to the bulkhead, but I’ll get into that later.  Finally, the nightlight; which I purchased for an entirely different purpose then what it was designed to do.
Cannibalism: the eating of human flesh by another human being.  Or in this case, cannibalism: the removal of parts, equipment, assets, or employees from one product, item, or business in order to use them in another.  I am a cannibal.  Hey, give me a piece of Bruce will you?
That’s what the night light is for, or more specifically the clear plastic cover on it.  You see, I have a dilemma; the old electrical system is in such bad shape as to be completely useless.  Not surprisingly, similar to most of the original components of the boat, the electrical system must be completely rebuilt.  The only parts I managed to salvage are the covers that held the port and starboard lights.  However, the fixtures that actually made the whole mess work (the lights) are shot.  That’s where a little ingenuity comes in.
Now, wiring and switches are pretty generic, are easily found and installed.  However, navigation lights are not something your local hardware store is likely to carry, at least not mine.  You can find them at a marine supplier or on the internet pretty easily, but like all specialty items they are expensive.  I am attempting to refurbish my boat in the most cost effective way possible and am a master at ‘Jury Rigging’, if I do say so myself.  The whole boat has basically been a huge jury rigging project.  If not, it would be costing me two or more times what I’ve put into it.  The navigation lighting is no exception.  
The lights will consist of cheap fixtures, 3 bucks I think per unit, of which I only require the piece that actually holds the light bulb.  Again, cannibalism at it’s finest.  This piece, I will somehow mount on the bulkhead in the spot designated of the navigation lights (a hole in the wall), and then waterproof it all; simultaneously enhancing the background reflectivity of each unit. 
What is required: a cheap light fixture, tin foil, a red or green light bulb, a clear plastic cover, and some clear silicon.  These items will be manipulated in such a fashion as to produce a working navigation light.  It works in theory, and the best part is that the whole navigation light is 100 or more dollars cheaper then an actual one made for the purpose.  Because I am not a purist, a boat purist, or refurbishing purist, I don’t give a shit.  That is, I am not stuck on having authentic boat fittings.  Sorry, guy at the boat works.  I just want it to work as required.  The hard part will be figuring out how to stick it all together so that it works properly and is securely mounted. 
As I said, wiring and switches are easy to deal with.  I got both installed last night.  Well, hooked up anyway, I still have to get the wiring mounted to the bulkheads.  After I hooked it all together it was time to test the electrical system.  I spliced in one of my cheap fixtures, hooked up a battery, and hit the switch.  And then there was light, and it was good.
My youngest son was less then impressed at my accomplishment, being more focused on shooting things with the piece of leftover wood he had found in the cabin.  He wanted my screw driver, my electric screw driver which can bend, but I was using it.  I did manage to get some assistance out of him.  My son would hold the wires as I put tie straps around the bundles.  He did a few himself, but finally returned to his adventure, shooting imaginary bad guys with the stick.
Once I get all the bundles of wire organized; I will then mount them on the bulkheads.  The electrical tape will, I hope, hold the wiring in place long enough for the glue to set.  I didn’t have any luck finding something for the purpose at Menards.  Oh well, again I think it will work in theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment